Monday, August 29, 2022

On Begetting


Begetting


Your birthday  is coming



like a thundering train;

 like Fall's first brutal blast; 

like a lump in my throat that never leaves. 


This morning I got up, put collars on our dogs, and let them out. I could hear the tinkling of their tags as they tripped across the porch and into the dark of pre-dawn. I drank my coffee and read, as a mosquito buzzed nearby; swatted it away and considered whether to try to catch it to turn outside or simply let it land and kill it. Instead, I just let it be; decided to let it have a drink of me if it comes back to my spot on the couch. Nothing should be hungry today....

Not so close to your birthday.

I've been reading about the value of kindness in "Spiritual Literacy". It said that the word generosity comes from GENEROUS, which is close to GENIUS whose derivative is the Latin root word GENERE, which means to BEGET. I looked that up too.

"To bring something (a child, for instance) into existence.

To give rise to; to bring about".

To me that sounds a lot like creation .

To be a generous heart, a genius heart, in fact to be in the act of creation and expansion. As I chewed on that thought,  a memory burst into my brain like a solar flare.....

Sometime after you expanded, a woman contact me to tell me she had met you several years before. Your Dad had built them a house in 2002 when you were about 7, and then later when you were about 16, she reached out again and asked him for help digging rocks out of her back yard. It seemed her husband was now frail and dying, languishing his last days in a hospital bed in their living room, and she wanted to build a garden for him to enjoy as he lay bed bound. 

I guess you were in high school and doing some work for your Dad; probably paying off some sin or infraction. I don't even remember.

She said you were so polite and gracious while you worked removing all those rocks and building a flower bed. From the big windows they watched you work, moving back and forth hauling rocks and building something for the old man to look at in his last days. 

She brought you water from time to time. She remarked how sweet you were, and how big. 

One day, she said she came in from shopping to find you sitting at her husband's side, listening intently as he told stories of his life, asking questions....paying attention to him.... and comforting him through a rough moment. Maybe he was lonely and struck up a conversation when you came in for water? She said you were dusty and and sweaty as you sat there chatting the old dying man.

It touched her to see a big kid showing such generosity; such genius of spirit. Your begetting of the moment. Yes, begetting. Knowing when to stop and listen.

I knew all of that about you, it was apart of your DNA.

You knew how to love generously.

You knew how to open up your heart and fucking SHOW UP for people.

This was not something you were taught; it flowed out of you like a spring from the Earth. It was not contrived or showy. In fact, you could mask it quite well under a blanket of being a bit of an asshole to people who were not really deserving...You are  just a crisp and clever in that way......  

Always finding that kindness and generosity are best delivered in secret and without a show. 

You, the person sitting dusty and hot with a lonely and sick old man....that was you....the one I always knew. I saw it in you as a small boy in the tender way you treated animals; in your fierce protection of underdogs and your brother and sister.....and me.

That lady's loving memory didn't surprise me in the leas, t even in that first dark year of longing for you, but it did remind me of the truth of who you are. She ended her story by saying she tried to hug you that day as you got up to leave his bedside to move more rocks. You wouldn't let her.

"I don't want to get you dirty, ma'am"

was all you said.

You never could do that, 

My beautiful boy,

You are exquisitely clean.


   Happy 28th Birthday beautiful boy,  

Love Momma                            

1 comment:

Kim Carney said...

He was so generous of spirit and love. Like a big bear ready to wrap his arms around you!
Happy Birthday Big Guy! You are missed. xoxox