Monday, August 2, 2021

The Learning Time






The 
Learning Time






In the other time

In the happy time;

Time of sticky fingers,

pillows that smelled of sweaty cheeks and kisses.

The buzz of life being lived

And my skin full of touches and hugs of small people.


In the other time

When I was more happy, life was less vivid than now.

Bleared and muted by life being lived.


Not crisp and intense like now;

Not shrill or intense or sharp-edged like now....    


Less intricate.

My heart all full with filling and no yearning

To draw my gaze.


Maybe that is the point

The real point of now...

Of all this sudden intense looking;


All of this seeing.

Maybe this is the moment of reckoning; of another birth.


As I walk through this field and my eyes are drawn to smaller and more intricate things.

Hungry to see whatever I can see, to distract me from  

Clinging   to the other time 

And find what still is good on this Earth.



Every tiny bug, every winged and crawling bit of life 

Finds my eye

Captures me 

Seems important to note.


Step off the path 

Into the weeds

Avoid the flowers and webs

Be a gentle visitor. 

Kneel down

Kneel down really close and feel the other life drift away


Away and gone. Another story  and another time.


Where I used to see just a thistle 

Purple and straight

As I passed by on my way to chase a little boy down....

Now I see the purple thistle with a green crab spider 

Waiting to snare God knows what.....

And two beetles boring into the pollen up to their asses 

And one of my golden bees;

Big and beautiful spinning in a circle,

And the acrid smell of  the bloom rotting, dropping the fading lavender fronds to the grass below.


What is all this new precision in seeing for?

Look deeper

Look deeper 

Look deeper


What am I looking for?


Desire for beauty is the velvet cord

Pulling me back slowly

Pulling me back slowly


To the desire for life.

And then to life.


Mourning, that threatens to squeeze my heart to a full stop,

Squeeze my heart to silence.....

Is rattled by moments of absurd and seemingly pointless curiosity

It is an electrical shock, 

It is life support.


This is the Learning Time

The time I will remember more keenly

When my eyes and heart will align and become a laser

A microscope, a telescope, a portal.


 I am snagged by optimism

That after all it might be worth it

To stay and see who else

Might be be found in the purple thistle.



No comments: