Wednesday, August 28, 2019

After Crying



After Crying




Dear Ian,

After crying
I sleep hard
And on awakening I lie in a warm spot
Very still.
I don't move,
Dug in deep,
Hesitant to accept that time is still running along.

In a crib of suspended animation.

My eyes move only, and note what is the measure of darkness around me....1 am? 4 am? The quiet inhale of 5 am?  That oddest of hours just before the stirring of morning world. I lay still and wish this could be my final place of being,
Wish I could stay and stay and stay.

After crying
Mornings come with a slower gait;
Raw senses,
More effort to be quiet
Because noises hurt.
I find that I am still in some sort of delta state, moving very slowly 
Making tea or feeding the birds. Eyes fuzzy raw from swelling

My body moves to the least small measure so as to confirm acceptance of another day here,
Alone again.
I am without you.
I have poured this out again like poison from a cup.
I am emptied. It is not a tiredness so much as surrender; not defeat so much as a retreat.

I have taken a slow and deliberate plunge; a going down below the water line, down into the other world.

After crying
I observe with silence.
And secrecy
I can hear and see and sense what goes on above
Within a blessed veil of hiding. 
All sensation and perception are muted and warped and warbled. I float not apart exactly, but beneath the rest of the world in a cool and dark and different state. The dreaminess of sleep still a cloak.

Light is changed.
I drift slowly sipping my tea;
In the quiet..
No TV
No people 
None of the prattle that betrays the comings and goings of the normal world.
Safe and apart. 
My swollen eyes and blunted movements might work better down here...beneath all other things. I am altered, morphed, remade into a being that seems amphibious or mercurial, a temporary but delicious place.

I cast my gaze up through the backward light
and watch
and breath
and wait for a while.

A place where on one will even come for a while or notice or interrupt my will to be apart. 

Where I find again my Holy Stance;
My worship posture.
This body crying her
Remembrance of not having you anymore.
The most deep and sad truth 
And thus being alone in knowing it,
Willing to sit with this knowing.


After crying, my body wants to be invisible and my heart rues the coming of day. But come it always does. It is the closest I ever come to making peace with death, until I have to once again shoot to the surface for air.


Love,

Momma

  


No comments: